While you are in an English program in this country, to develop your professional career, it is common to think about how to get a work permit in Canada as a student. Well you know it would be a great way to cover your expenses. Here we will tell you!
Sure working and studying in Canada At the same time would be a great help to be able to cover the expenses, but to do so, you must complete certain steps.
That is why in this article we are going to give you some tips you need to know to obtain a work permit. Let us begin!
1. Choose between the types of programs that allow you to work
You should know that with an international student visa you can get a part-time work permit in Canada. However, it is not valid for all study programs, and to meet the requirements there are only 3 options, which we will explain below.
These are technical studies focused on a specific profession, consisting of training oriented to job skills. They can be:
- Advanced Diplomas
They are very interesting if you are looking for training that enables you to work directly in a specific profession. Its duration is between 6 months and 2 years, depending on the course.
These are higher university degrees that help you to specialize in different fields. In the Canadian educational system, they are called Master Degrees.
This Canadian study program can be found in almost any field you can imagine.
CO-OP programs in Canada
studies programs in Canada known as CO-OP are another way to study and work in Canada at the same time twice.
On one hand, it not only allows you to obtain a part-time work permit in Canada but also, as part of the training, internships in companies are included. They are a great way to get into the Canadian workplace!
2. Find the ideal college for you
When it comes to studying in this country, the first thing you need to consider as an international student is how you can get a work permit in Canada; and for that, you need to know that both the institution and the study program you choose must be eligible to get one.
You will find that there are private and public colleges. What is the difference? Well, beyond its nature ( the public ones depends on the State and the private ones of private entities), there are two aspects that as an international student you should take into account:
- The cost of studies: private colleges are cheaper than public ones for international students. (Clearly, for Canadians this is not the case).
- Admission requirements: Private colleges require a much lower IELTS score than public colleges.
- Funding: in private colleges, it is possible to defer tuition payments, while in private colleges this is not the case.
- Post-study benefits: only public colleges allow you to obtain a Post-Graduation Work Permit, to work 40 hours a week for up to 3 years.
- Points to apply for permanent residence: only studying at a public college will earn you points.
3. Enroll in a Study Program in Canada
To obtain a work permit in Canada, the next thing you must have is enrollment in a study program.
Once you have chosen the training you want to do and the institution where it is best for you to study it, then you must make the enrollment effective.
To do this, you must consult in advance all the requirements of the institution you chose. Also, do not forget to meet the stipulated dates.
4. Applies to the Canadian work permit
You must keep in mind that you can only start working in Canada when your study program has started.
On the other hand, there is the possibility of working on or off-campus. In order to work within the campus (that is, in the same educational institution) you do not need a work permit, however, to work outside the campus, you do.
Let’s go over the eligibility requirements:
- You are a full-time student at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI).
- You enrolled in a Canadian post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training
- Program. Your study program lasts at least 6 months. and leads to a degree, diploma or certificate
- Your study permit says you can work off-campus
- You have started studying
- You have a social security number (SIN)
In case you do not have a SIN number at the moment, or your permission Study does not include the possibility of working. You can rely on an educational expert, we are fully trained to provide you with the support you need for these processes and it is free of charge. Do not worry!
What if you’ve fallen in love with the country and want to extend your stay? Maybe this idea is hanging over your head! That’s why you should be clear about how to renew your work permit and visa in Canada.
5. Lean on educational experts for the whole process
At this point, you may think “this is all very well but there are so many options! How to choose?” Do not worry, as it is not a decision you must make alone. You can count on an educational expert!
An educational expert can assist in the process of choosing a program and college, as well as enrollment and support in managing work permits. In this way, you can take all the steps safely and without making a mistake.
In this content we have given you tips step by step, to be able to study and work in Canada at the same time, being an international student.
We have seen the different programs that allow you to apply for a work permit. In addition to how to find the ideal college for you, the order in which you must complete certain procedures and the way to obtain the permit itself, even if you do not have a SIN number or your study permit does not say that you can work.
Finally, remember that an educational expert can help you take all these steps safely, and assist you in case of any doubt or problem. Don’t wait any longer! You can start generating income by combining study and work in Canada.